Mazda Motor Corporation announces the release of a limited edition RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version, which is based on the RX-8 and fitted with Mazdaspeed* brand tune-up parts for enhanced sports driving performance. The RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version goes on sale from the middle of February at Mazda Anfini and Mazda dealerships throughout Japan.
The new RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version is based on the RX-8 Type S. Mazda has tuned up the engine using it's exclusively designed PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to match the modified intake and exhaust systems of the Mazdaspeed Version, as well as going through balance adjustments around the eccentric shaft in response to the lightweight flywheel. Mazda has also tuned up the suspension and fitted aero parts to further enhance sports driving performance. Those modifications, carried out under Mazda's strict quality control system, provide the RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version with well-balanced performance.
In addition, the RENESIS rotary engine has been further improved to deliver greater aerodynamic performance and even better sports car driving performance. Sharp, stable maneuverability is further enhanced while maintaining ride comfort, and the vehicle's exterior design supervised by the RX-8 chief designer expresses high performance.
The sales volume of the RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version will be limited to 300 units.
* Mazda designs and develops tune-up parts and accessories for the motorsports market under the Mazdaspeed brand.
Main Features of the RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version
1. Specially tuned engine
- Exclusively designed PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to match the modified intake and exhaust systems.
- Customized fresh air ducts for efficient engine air intake.
- Customized sports muffler that produces a rich engine sound and reduces exhaust pressure (with catalyst).
- Special spark plugs to stabilize combustion.
2. Use of Mazdaspeed brand parts
Engine related parts
- Double oil cooler set with improved cooling performance to handle hard driving.
- Lightweight flywheel and balance adjustments around the eccentric shaft for sharp engine response.
- Earthing kit to stabilize engine performance. Chassis related parts
- Sports spring set to enhance driving stability (lowers vehicle by 20 mm).
- Mono-tube type shock absorbers that deliver both excellent high speed cornering performance and a comfortable ride.
- Fade resistant brake pad to enhance initial braking force and vehicle control.
Body reinforcement parts
- Front/rear strut bar and performance bar set to increase body rigidity.
- Large-diameter front/rear stabilizer bars to control rolling during cornering.
- Exterior design by the RX-8 chief designer beautifully expresses driving performance with the front nose, rear under skirt, side skirt set, rear wing and Mazdaspeed ornaments, while maintaining the car's original balance.
3. Body colors
The Mazda RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version is available in two colors: exclusive Strato Blue Mica with a high quality and striking appearance and Sunlight Silver Metallic, which is popular for its direct expression of sports driving.